To access this page in Lao, click the Lao flag on the right.
How can I protect myself and my loved ones against COVID-19?
- Stay at home as much as possible and only go out if necessary
- Avoid big gatherings and crowded places
- Clean your hands regularly, using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub
- When coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your elbow, and immediately dispose of the tissue into a closed bin
- If you have a cough, fever, or difficulty breathing, call hotline numbers 165, 166 or 020 5406 6777 for advice in Lao, Chinese or English on what you should do.
What should I do if I experience symptoms?
- If you have a cough, fever, or difficulty breathing, call 166 for advice in Lao, Chinese or English. They will give you advice on how to seek care.
- If you are unwell avoid crowded places, close contact with others and don’t go to work or school.
- If you have these symptoms or are providing care to someone who has them, wear a mask if possible. Make sure that you know how to wear, use and dispose of it properly.
What is COVID-19 and how is it spread?
- COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by a virus which was first found in humans in China in December 2019.
- Around 80% of people who have COVID-19 experience mild symptoms, including a cough, fever, and tiredness. These people recover without needing special treatment.
- Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. About 2% of people with the disease have died.
- COVID-19 spreads from person to person through small droplets from the nose and mouth, which is why it is so important to cover coughs and sneezes.
Who is most at risk?
- Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness.
- However, everyone is at risk. Practice the recommended prevention measures.
- Everyone can help to protect the vulnerable people in their community by making sure they know how to protect themselves.
Read information on COVID-19 by the World Health Organization in Lao here.
Advice on preventive measures:
Prevention of stigma and discrimination
Information for migrants:
Information on COVID-19, gender, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding:
Information for health workers:
How to handwash:
How to put on, use, take off and dispose of a mask?
- Before putting on a mask, wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
- Cover your mouth and nose with the mask
- Make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask
- Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do touch it, immediately clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it becomes damp
- Do not re-use single-use masks – dispose of them after each use
- To remove the mask:
- remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask)
- discard the used mask immediately in a closed bin
- wash your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water
Cloth (e.g. cotton or gauze) masks are not recommended.
Here is a list of other information resources on COVID-19 that are regularly updated by the World Health Organization (available in English):
- Advice for public on the basic protective measures against COVID-19;
- Q&A on coronaviruses;
- Myth busters on COVID-19;
- The COVID-19 travel advice.
For more information, please contact: